Belize, some background and thoughts, p2

Katie
I used a travel agent and I am very happy I did so. I actually tried 2 others before I settled on Katie. They're both from the Virtuoso travel network and gave me the same packages which probably took all of 5 minutes to do. The first one was an agent I used when I went to Venezuela and booked a phenomenal trip. But again, it was probably pre-packaged.

Agencies have changed dramatically. The Internet all but replaced them. Who needs agencies now? And they all seem to charge $50 whereas before they were free. They made (and still do) make their money from booking commissions.

However, Katie Valk was a godsend. I got her info off the Trip Advisor Belize forum. Just ask... she's a regular contributor. She's an ex-pat living in Belize for a long time. I believe she mentioned 30 years. She seemingly knows every inch of the country, every hotel, restaurant, tour operator, blah blah. She is extremely responsive to emails, text and phone calls. She made the trip so much easier for a first-timer. Although you can get the same info from the Internet, she gives a more personalized touch and makes suggestions appropriate for each person.

The People
I have never come across more friendlier people in my travels. My neighbors could use a lesson from the Belizeans. Granted, they were mostly people in tourism (not all), but there was something special about them. They truly wanted for you to have a good time. Even though their economic situation was sometimes borderline poverty, they maintained a good attitude, eager to be helpful and were fiercely loyal and proud of their country. I made several friends and exchanged contact info.

In the Cayo district, they were mostly a mix of Mayan and Spanish. In Ambergis Caye (pronounced "key"), the largest island and where the most populous tourist lies, San Pedro, the population was mostly Spanish. Everyone in tourism spoke good English as did most of the residents. Spanish and English are required subjects in school as well as Creole (I think) in Cayo.

Misc.
I would also like to thank the active posters on Trip Advisor's Belize forum. They answer the same questions to newbies over and over and are selflessly helpful. And a special thanks to the pair in the golf cart that might have saved me from being crocodile bait, haha. More later

No comments:

Post a Comment