San Pedro Activities 5/15/16 - 5/19/16 p2

Snorkeling
I went snorkeling every day. I went on guided snorkeling/diving tours two days and the rest of the time, snorkeled outside Ramon's.

The snorkeling tours were both excellent and I used Ramon's dive shop for snorkeling excursions. The excursions were with small groups and took  fifteen ti twenty minute boat rides out to the snorkeling spots. I went on the two most popular tours, Hol Chan and Mexico Rocks. I regret not going to Shark Alley. I mistakenly thought it was part of Hol Chan. I did see one nurse shark however, but supposedly there are dozens of them in shark alley. I could not believe how all the fish seemed to get along so well, haha. There was a huge diversity of fish though all I can remember the names of are barracudas and stingrays. And then there was the big dang turtle who wouldn't stop following us and bumping into me. The guide kept feeding him fish and he knew a good thing when he saw it.

Coupled with the reefs, I couldn't have asked for better diving excursions, though I wish I could have done more. The currents were strong and a number of excursions were canceled. I particularly wanted to try the sunset snorkel --- imagine snorkeling with flashlights and bumping into a shark!

Restaurants
Fry Jacks and Johnny Cakes are about the most disgusting native breakfast foods Belize has to offer and should be illegal. Fry Jacks weigh about 10 pounds and you gain about 20 pounds after eating one. I tried one my first breakfast and dang, they were incredibly good. However, I couldn't move for hours.


I'll preface the rest of this by saying that food is not a major priority for me since I mended my eating habits. At this point in my life, I only eat small portions and can rarely finish an entree. Probably a good thing since there were so many sinfully food offerings in San Pedro and throughout Belize. Most of the restaurants were fine, though I generally ordered only an appetizer and/or salad for dinner.

I probably should have written down where I ate, but I remember most of the places. I ate mostly at the beach or in town and breakfast at the hotel once. By far, the standout for breakfast was Estel's. I also had dinner there but it left something to be desired.

Estel's

My favorite restaurant was hands down El Fogon. I ate there twice for lunch. Kudos to the incredibly friendly staff and owner.


Chicken at El Fogon

Amazing Salbutes at El Fogon




Ceiling sign at Blue Water Grill
Blue Water Grill is an upscale restaurant on the beach a few minutes from Ramon's. Highly recommended.


Wild Mango's

I could have lived without Wild Mango's despite it's good reviews.The service was the worst of any place I ate in Belize or, for that matter, anywhere I can recall. I thought the food was okay, nothing more.  It is an extremely rare occasion that I don't tip. Chalk this one up to a rarity. The service was that bad.

Lunch at acclaimed Elvi's was superb









No comments:

Post a Comment